What Is a Water Safety Plan?
Simply put, a water safety plan is something you can do to make sure you have the right tools and supplies to maintain a safe supply of water in your home. You may think there isn’t much you can do about the water that comes into your home.
After all, water treatment happens at a plant many miles away. If it’s not clean and safe to use when it comes to your home, what can you do? Luckily, there are a few steps you can take to ensure you have safe, filtered water for drinking and bathing, even in an emergency.
Ensuring Safe Drinking Water
It’s no secret that safe drinking water is incredibly important and is a necessity for everyone. Places like Flint have been in the news in recent years, the stories underpinning just how easy it would be for your drinking water to suddenly go bad. This is why a water safety plan is so important.
- Filters: Whether it’s a pitcher or a filter you attach to your faucet, filters can help make water safe to drink. It’s a good idea to make sure the filtering device is approved by a third-party, such as NSF International or the Water Quality Association. If you do use these devices, make sure you have several spare filters to last you in an emergency.
- Boiling: If you don’t have filters, you can also boil the water to make it safer to drink. For best results, boil the water for one minute at low altitude and three minutes if you’re 6,500 feet above sea level. Boiling, however, does not remove impurities such as lead in the water.
- Bottled Water: Keeping a supply of bottled water around is a good addition to your water safety plan. If you have an emergency supply of bottled water and an emergency filter or reverse-osmosis system, you can rest assured that your drinking water needs will be taken care of for a long while.
Ensuring Safe Shower Water
Safe shower water is just as important as safe drinking water. You can absorb chemicals through your skin in a warm shower almost as if you were drinking the water!
Luckily, there are a couple of options to ensure safe shower water for you and your loved ones.
- House Filtration System: Installing a house water filtration system can take care of both your drinking water and your shower water at the same time. The only problem is that these systems are a little pricey. If you’re just looking to prepare for an emergency, you may want to go with the next option.
- Shower Filters: Shower filters are similar to the filters used on your faucet or in your filtered water pitcher. They remove common impurities from the water before it hits your skin. There are many types of shower filters, and they’re pretty cheap.
All-Around Water Safety
If you think that your water is unsafe for consumption, it’s a good idea to get it tested. Having established water safety is not only good for you and your loved ones, but it’s also good for your pets and plants, too.
Water is essential to all life on earth, and clean water can make a world of difference. Of course, choosing a filtration system can be tough, so be sure to contact your local plumbing company to ensure you get the right option for your home.
About Rooter MD Plumbing LLC
Since 1981 Rooter MD Plumbing LLC has been “curing” Livonia, Michigan, of all its plumbing, heating, and HVAC issues. Providing fast, friendly, and professional service is their mission, and they accomplish it every day. For stellar workmanship, fantastic customer service, and premium solutions to your plumbing problems, Rooter MD Plumbing LLC are the go-to.