Tips and Tricks To Keeping the Gutters Clean During the Fall
Clearing out the gutters is a significant fall cleaning task. As the leaves on the trees begin to fall, it seems like they are drawn to the gutter more than anywhere else, leaving homeowners with one more thing to clean. It can be a time-consuming task to complete, but it is entirely worth it in the end because it helps to prevent plumbing emergencies and stops rodents and other pests from making a home out of the clogged gutters.
Luckily, there are a few tips and tricks from plumbing professionals to help make the process a little easier.
Use Professional Gutter Cleaning
Hiring a professional gutter cleaning service can be an excellent option. They’ll have the tools needed to clean them out thoroughly and save homeowners the time and energy from having to do the job themselves, especially in the following situations:
- Two-story homes have gutters that are hard to reach. Trying to get a tall ladder set up and stable enough can be risky. Plus, it’s a lot of steps to go up and down!
- Older homeowners or homeowners that have recently recovered from an injury are also at risk when cleaning the gutters. It can be hard to balance on a tall ladder, and the last thing homeowners want to deal with is an injury from falling off of one.
Trim Trees To Reduce Debris
If trees didn’t have leaves, there would be no need to clear out the gutters in the first place, right? So if there weren’t as many tree branches near the gutters, there wouldn’t be as many leaves to fall into the gutters either. Trimming the trees can help to drastically reduce the amount of debris that builds up in the gutters.
Once the gutters become clogged with leaves, twigs, or dirt, it prevents water from draining off the roof and away from the house. This can lead to a leaky roof or other water damage on both the home’s interior and exterior. By trimming the trees, homeowners can prevent plumbing emergencies like these from taking place.
Install Gutter Guards
Homeowners may also consider installing gutter guards on their homes. Gutter guards help to cover the gutter and prevent large debris from entering the gutter in the first place. There are several different types of gutter guards to choose from, but some of the most common types include the following:
- Mesh gutter guards: These sheets have small holes and are placed over the top of the gutter. It allows the water to still flow into the gutter but prevents larger debris from getting stuck.
- Bottlebrush guards: This type of guard uses pokey bristles that sit on the gutter, kind of like the bristles used on buildings and statues to prevent birds from landing on them. Leaves and other debris will get caught on the bristles, keeping them above the rest of the gutter where rain and water can flow freely.
- Reverse curve gutter guards: This type of guard sits over the gutter and redirects the water flow down through a small slit but forces the leaves and other debris to fall to the ground instead.
Homeowners must research the different options that are available to choose the best solution for their unique needs.
About Rooter MD Plumbing LLC
Rooter MD Plumbing LLC has been performing premier residential and commercial indoor maintenance services in Southeast Michigan since 1981. Led by a licensed Master plumbing and HVAC technician, they provide the “cure” for all plumbing, piping, heating, and cooling problems - no matter how big or small. Contact them for reliable plumbing services in Livonia, MI today!